Never heard of Perryopolis, PA? Well here are a few "fun facts" about our big-hearted little town with a lot of history...

  • Perryopolis is a small community of around 1800 people located just off Route 51.
  • George Washington owned over 56,751 acres from Mount Vernon to Ohio.
  • The 1644 acres at Washington's Bottoms (Perryopolis) and the 300 acres at Fort Necessity were the only two pieces of land west of the Allegheny Mountains that Washington picked out and purchased with his own money.
  • Washington's Bottoms Grist Mill is the only commercial enterprise Washington attempted in the wilderness and it failed miserably as a money maker.
  • The streets of Perryopolis are laid out in the shape of a wagon wheel.
  • Local oral history says that Washington suggested that the town be laid out in the wagon wheel shape copying the design created for Washington D.C. and that Washington wanted to put the capital of the United States at Washington's Bottoms' but no written proof has ever been found.
  • Perryopolis folk believe Perryopolis was to be the capital.
  • Four men – Dr. Thomas Hersey, Nathan Hersey, Thomas E. Burns and Samuel Shreve – planned out the lots and streets and in 1814, established the town of Perryopolis.
  • The price of an empty lot in those days was around $20.
  • From the letters of Gilbert Simpson, by 1774 the community consisted of about 75 farmers and their families.
  • The earliest settlers were Scotch, Irish, English and French.
  • In 1769, George Washington's name was added to the list of landowners.
  • Between the building of Washington's Grist Mill in 1774 and the beginnings of the actual town, the village was known as 'Washington's Bottoms'.
  • In 1814, William Griffith was hired to survey and layout the lots.
  • In honor of Commandant Perry, the residents decided to name the new town 'Perryopolis', Perry for the Admiral and 'opolis', Greek for city.
  • By the late 1800's and early 1900's, there were five hotels, a bank, several restaurants, churches and businesses (Randalls' Restaurant did not make its appearance onto the scene until 1951).
  • In the 1890's the coal industry began to develop, immigrants came from Italy, Hungary and Czechoslavakia to work in the mines.
  • Thank goodness Grandma Moxin came to this area, that's where Randall's got its great Slovak recipes.